… and welcome, 2013
So to my hopes for the year ahead. This is the year I turn thirty – which shouldn't be a big deal, but kind of feels like it is. I'm crossing from a decade of carefree independence where anything could happen, to a decade of parenthood and responsibility. No doubt I'll say more about that when the time comes, but for now, here are my aims for 2013. I hope you'll share yours with me in return.
1. Try not to let Baby Smith down. This surely has to be number one on the list every year from now until I die. I brought him into the world and it's up to me to teach him how to live in it.
2. Keep blogging. There came a point last year* when the need to maintain regular blog posts felt like the latest brick added to a teetering and highly unstable Jenga set: too much on top of everything else. But I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did.
3. Learn. I'm sure having an increasingly curious and active baby will help me with this. Sometimes it seems as though my mindset has fossilised, and my ability to take in new information and fresh viewpoints has withered away. I want to rediscover the joy of discovery.
4. Make an effort to finish what I start. I'm terrible for leaving half-finished art projects lingering about the place, and I have pages of good ideas I never get round to exploring. Daydreaming and good intentions: out. Focus, drive, efficiency: in.**
5. Publish a book. I always swore I'd do this by the time I was thirty. And I have Plans in that department – that's right, with a capital P. So watch this space!
* It feels weird referring to 2012 as 'last year'. But then, it still feels weird that the 90s were two decades ago.
** I'll believe it when I see it.
6/1/2013 12:49:57 pm
Great aims to have honey!
6/1/2013 12:53:39 pm
Those sound like very good plans. "Finish what I start" is one of my writing resolutions. I can appreciate your first goal. I have four kids ranging in age from 12 to 22 and they always come first. Good luck to you, A.F.E. I'm looking forward to seeing your book in print.
6/1/2013 01:43:02 pm
Sophie, that's an excellent set of aims and I have every confidence you can achieve them! Good luck with them (and the mysterious fifth).
10/1/2013 11:53:49 am
I know … I feel old! Good luck to you too :-)
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.